Tuesday, October 13, 2009

New Zealand - May 06 to Feb 07

I have always tried to follow "trend" when it comes to blogging so I ended up with myspace, multiply, blogspot and also facebook. Then I suddenly felt like I should have everything on the same page, so what I did is to move things around, and this is what happens, haha.... The NZ trip report was at "myspace" before.


NZ Trip Summary
Finally, I managed to squeeze some time to write my NZ report.....it's really hard as I dunno how to start and not sure how much information I should include. Anyway, here we go...

22 May - June

I arrived in Auckland. After 2 days, I left for Katikati and started to do kiwi picking. At the same time, I was also working in the kiwi packhouse for 2 weeks. It was such great fun getting to know so many people from different countries as we worked hard to do as much as we can since we r paid by contract rate. The best part about picking is I get to eat ripe kiwis straight fr the trees, and the worst part is it is a very physical work as we have to carry 15-20kg bag in front of us while reaching up to get more as fast as possible. During that period, always got up with I got shoulder ache, sore arm and also numb fingers, but the fun part of it keeps me going. Green kiwi is easier to pick compared to old kiwi, but gold tastes better, hahaha.....at the end of my time in katikati, I had eaten the most kiwi I ever eat in my life in that 1 mth.Haha....

July
I spent 1 week at a fren's house located in Central North Island, a place called Ohura. So I get to see how they scanned the sheep (check for how many babies), how the shepherd dog work. And the best art is go hunting for wild pig. We got one and carry it like a backpack behind our back. We also wen canoeing down the river, and trust me the water is so cold, fuh!!!
After Ohura, I went to Taupo where Aude and myself went for a rope course called Rock n Ropes, that was great fun too...but we did not do skydiving as the weather is not good. Then I join Jasmin and Vera to Wellington where I attended LOTR exhibition in Te Papa Museum. The museum is really interesting as it has many variety and not just pure historical stuff like bones and old vases....hehehe.... I also walked up Mt Victoria for Wellington 360 degrees view, went up with the cable car to the cable car museum, walk through Botanical Garden and join the Parliament tour.

End of July to Mid Sept
I went down to Bleinheim and found wrapping job in vineyard, only worked for 5 day as the work is too boring. Then I started travelling around South Island with Robert and Sebastian, 2 German guy I got to know during picking kiwi. Details of the trip will be in "Trip Around South Island"

Mid Sept to Mid Oct
I did some gardening work in Lincoln near Christchurch for 4 days ; worked for Kathmandu warehouse preparing order) for 2 days ; Exchange work in Chez La Mer backpackers in Akaroa for 2 weeks, at (the same time I worked for grocery store - Akaroa Supply Store during my free time. I also managed to climb up Purple peak for magnificent view around Akaroa and watch nice sunsetwhile fishing.

Mid Oct to Early Jan
I started working in Furneaux Lodge as housekeeping. My team mate includes Malaysian girl - Apple and Japanese girl - Akiko. We worked 5 days week and was paid according to the hours work. Furneaux Lodge is a really nice place as we can walk the Queen Charlotte Track (quite a famous walking track in NZ) during our day off, we can also go kayking in the inlet or across to Punga Cove (owned by Geoff's father) for Jacuzzi and swimming pool ; sometimes we go fishing and picking up mussels for our special meal. And I got quite a few fishes durign my stay including snapper, blue cod and tarakihi, and I almost got an octopus too. We also went out with the boat while they dived for scallops and sometimes we got fresh lobster. Other staffs includes people from NZ, Netherlands, England, Ireland, Scotland, Canada and US. While I was there, I was also driving the boat to fetch customer's from their big boat and yacht, I was also helping with waitressing as well as kitchen hand. It was one of the unforgetable moments of my trip and it was so hard to leave. Towards the end of my stay, I had managed to complete QCT including the walk to Jackson Head.

Early Jan to end of Jan
I got to Wellington, bought my little red car - Honda City Jazz.Then my trip around North Island begins..."Trip Around North Island"

1st to 14th Feb
Mak came on 1st Feb and we started travelling again around North and South Island till 14th when we fly back to Malaysia

No comments:

Post a Comment

Great place to be

Great place to be
If only I can wake up to this view everyday.